Harold Vincent Mackintosh, 1st Viscount Mackintosh of Halifax (June 8 1891, Halifax, West Yorkshire - December 27 1964, Norwich) was a British peer.
He was the son of John and Violet Mackintosh who had a toffee factory on Queens Road in Halifax, then Albion Mills and also in the USA, Canada, Germany and Australia. He was educated at Halifax New School. Instead of going to university, he spent a few years in Krefeld in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany where he ran a Mackintosh toffee factory, and learnt the language. He was a member of the German international hockey team, prior to the First World War. During the First World War, he joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.
He was the owner of the confectionary business of John Mackintosh & Sons Ltd from 1920 when his father died of a heart attack. The company John Mackintosh & Sons Ltd was floated in March 1921. He was involved in the amalgamation of a group of Halifax building societies into the Halifax Building Society in 1928.
In September 1931, he narrowly avoided merging the company with Rowntrees of York. Both companies already had a joint subsidiary in the Republic of Ireland.
As a result of a lunchtime meeting at the Savoy Hotel, he bought the A.J. Caley confectionery company in Norwich from Unilever in 1932. The Caleys site is now the Chapelfield shopping centre. This takeover of Caleys helped the Mackintosh company to expand its range of products notably changing its reliance on toffee to products with chocolate toffee such as Quality Street in 1936 and Rolo. To launch Quality Street, he had a full page advertisement on the front of the Daily Mail on May 2 1936. His brother Eric managed the Caleys factory. He was Chairman of the National Savings Committee from 1943, becoming President in 1958. In 1956, under his leadership, National Savings introduced Premium Bonds.
He served as Chancellor of the University of East Anglia between 1962 and 1964.
Posted 1:45 PM | Permalink